Already have an existing profile with us? Please log into your account first, then click back on the Opportunity Link provided.
Do you enjoy working with young children? Become a Children's Program Volunteer!
Washington, DC.NMAAHC: African American History & Culture
NMAAHC Children's Program Volunteer
Do you enjoy working with young children? Become a Children's Program Volunteer and enhance the museum experience for our youngest visitors and their caregivers at the National Museum of African American History and Culture!
The Early Childhood Education Initiative supports the understanding and development of each child's healthy racial identity, their joy in human diversity and inclusion, their sense of justice, and their capacity to act for their own and others' fair treatment. Volunteers will contribute to this mission by assisting with children's programs that include music performances, story times, infant and toddler programs, community and family events, hands-on and craft activities and more.
REQUIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Previous experience in working with diverse families, students, and/or children, ages 0 to 8, in an educational or community-based environment.
- Commitment to implementing anti-bias education programs in a museum environment in age appropriate ways.
- Have an interest in working in history and early childhood education.
- Foreign language skills are helpful but not required.
All abilities are welcome. We have different roles available for individuals based on their physical abilities.
- Background check is required.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Complete trainings led by museum described below.
- Minimum commitment of 1 year.
- Suggested volunteer commitment of 2 programs/month (averaging to 4 - 6 hours monthly).
- Most programs take place weekday mornings and early afternoons. (Tuesday through Thursday, 10am to 12pm, First Saturday programs monthly, occasional Saturday signature events).
- In-person training workshops on select Saturdays, starting September 2019. Content will include anti-bias education, child development, and methods in museum education.
- Smithsonian Protection of Minors Training is required.
HOW DO I APPLY:
1. Click the Apply Now button below. You will be prompted to create an account in our volunteer management system (Vsys) if you do not already have one.
2. Attach to your application a resume/CV, and a cover letter which addresses the following items:
a. Professional background
b. Other volunteer experience
c. Why do you wish to become an Early Childhood Education volunteer?
d. List any special skills (non-English languages, etc.) or background that you feel you will bring to the program.
National Museum of African American History and Culture
1400 Constitution Ave NW
Washington, DC 20560