Smithsonian Call Center Volunteer
Smithsonian Call Center Volunteers engage and inspire the public over the phone. Call Center volunteers are tech-savvy museum goers who love planning memorable experiences for our global visitors. Call Center Volunteers also assist the Office of Visitor Services staff with various projects related to visitor engagement. If you are looking for a volunteer role that allows you to speak with people from around the world and learn about new and exciting things happening at the Smithsonian, this position is for you!
Dynamic and friendly individuals 18 years or older who have a desire to speak with the public and to share their enthusiasm for the Smithsonian. We are also looking for applicants who...
- show strong customer service skills
- are enthusiastic and outgoing
- enjoy working with diverse people
- have outstanding computer skills in using web-based resources
- possess fantastic listening skills
- have a clear speaking style on the telephone and are fluent in English
- Foreign-language skills are a plus.
Office of Visitor Services, Smithsonian Institution Building (The Castle), 2nd Floor
1000 Jefferson Drive, SW, Washington, D.C. 20560
Please note, the work area is not wheelchair accessible and can only be accessed by stairs.
Volunteers are required to follow health and safety measures when onsite.
Applicants must be able to volunteer for a minimum of one year in a recurring weekly shift that is four hours in length, either from 9:30am to 1:30pm or from 12:30-4:30pm, Monday through Saturday. Saturday shifts are alternating; thus, the commitment is once every other week.
We are currently looking for individuals to fulfill the following weekly shifts:
Monday afternoon (12:30-4:30pm)
Thursday afternoon (12:30-4:30pm)
Friday morning (9:30am - 1:30pm)
Friday afternoon (12:30-4:30pm)
The training program consists of an at-home orientation to the Smithsonian, 1 day of in-person classroom training, and on-the-job training including self-guided museum and gallery tours. In-person training will be held at the Smithsonian Castle.
- Complete an online application (apply below)
- Interview with a staff member to ensure mutual fit
- Receive tentative placement and initiate a background check
- Attend and complete online and in-person training (in-person training held on Saturday, July 23, 2022 from 9:00am - 5:00pm at the Smithsonian Castle)
- Start volunteering!